Prairie Days Design

loving your home one prairie day at a time.

Wednesday, 4 June 2014

my inspiration...for the new house...

A little twist today... I am officially obsessed with searching for ideas for our new house. Granted, I know I won't be able to change things up right away...1. because we aren't loaded and 2. because we don't have the time, and 3. because (despite what every fiber of my being is telling me) we should live in the house for awhile and learn it's ways before we make any major changes.

Anyway, my main area of interest lately has been the kitchen. We are moving in to a very "farm house" kitchen. The cupboards are oak which is awesome cause that means they are real wood, but they are very grainy... not so awesome. My mom thinks I am insane for wanting to paint such a gorgeous feature, but sorry mom... it's the 21st century and paint will prevail!! (Love you mom!)

With that being said, I have a few ideas swirling but I cannot quite decide what I prefer....

Sidenote: I would LOVE to remove all the upper cabinets and have open shelving... but Steve truly believes I am crazy...end Sidenote. So...grey. I love grey.. it just works. It's neutral, it's calming and it's pretty error proof... since we'll be painting them on our own and all.

mmmm.. dark cabinets...I LOVE THIS! but am I brave enough?! Again, kind of fool proof I think!

Now this is something that never occured to me until I saw this picture... leave the bottom wood.. only paint the top white?! Brilliant?! It makes it feel warm and fresh all at the same time. This may not work with our cabinets though because they are so grainy... but it might tone the grain down a notch?! It's so hard.. I just don't know!!!

Last but not least.. a pop of color. I love this look too, but again, am I brave enough?! It's a little less forgiving but the end result would be FANTASTIC! Ugh, it's such a hard decision... glad I still have a lot of time to make the final decision! Knowing me, i'll stick with the safe route. Oh the other thing I have thought of too which is shown in the turquoise cabinets is painting the upper cabinets white and doing some sort of color on the bottom. I have wanted to try this for a long time and I can almost gaurantee it will happen in our home...it'll just be a matter of what color will win for the bottom!

1.2.3.4
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment