Prairie Days Design

loving your home one prairie day at a time.

Thursday, 21 May 2015

gallery wall of my very own...

I have had a few requests for a closer look at the gallery wall that we hung around our TV this past weekend. You saw a preview of it in my post on Tuesday, and now we’ll get a little more up close and personal with it!

A gallery wall is simply a grouping of “things” hung on a wall. You can literally do this anywhere and use whatever you like in the grouping. I say “things” because it can really be anything that you like! If it can hang on a wall and you want to look at it on a daily basis, then by all means, put it in your gallery! For our gallery wall, I had accumulated a few specific pieces that I knew would add some character, but for the rest I basically just rummaged around my house for pieces that would work and that I love! I have to thank my wonderful husband for all his help with this... clearly I was a huge help ;)

I chose to do a gallery wall behind the TV because I wanted the TV to blend into the room more. Instead of being the centerpiece, I wanted to give it some character. It’s really not too hard to pull together. I had picked up a few Riba frames from Ikea recently, hoping to be able to use them both on the wall. I had picked up the ampersand in a sweet little store in Ottawa on my last visit. I wanted to buy just about everyting in the store at the time, but I knew that I would absolutely get use out of the ampersand and had an idea right away about what I wanted to do with it. The old frames came from my grandparent’s house. We used them at the wedding and then I thought about painting them, but honestly? I love the vintage appeal that they add. They are different and perfect in their old, worn out state. And frankly, the intricate wood detail is beautiful! I really lucked out on these ones!

The black frames that are all similar but have different pieces in them are actually from the dollar store a few years ago. I had used them as table decor at my grandparent’s 60th anniversary, and just loved them and have kept them ever since. They were actually hanging in our bathroom in the condo! I love being able to give something a new home and then it feels like an entirely new piece!

Now shall we talk about the obvious obsession I have with Kal Barteski? If you follow the blog regularly, you will notice that I have mentioned her a few times. Recently my mother-in-law and i went to one of her art shows where we fell even more in love with her! I purchased a few prints from her at that show and clearly had to incorporate them! I may swap them out at some point, but for now I love having each of them up there and they mean something to me so that’s all that really matters! Steve really loves the “Our hearts our wild, that’s why our ribs are cages” print. I have to say it’s one of my favorites too ;)

The other pieces, like the clipboard and the sailor man, were literally pieces that I picked up around the house at the last minute to include. I still want to add something below the framed ampersand, and i’m leaning towards these arrows from etsy. I think they’d be a perfect fit! Otherwise I am very pleased with how it turned out. It makes the living room so much more personal feeling. I just have to switch out a few of the photos that are in some of the frames... maybe, possibly add a wedding photo? Is it weird that we do not have a single wedding photo hanging anywhere in our home?! I feel it might be a touch sad, so we’ll add one on this wall someday! HA!

I hope this post has inspired you to create a gallery wall in your own home. It’s such an easy way to add a personal touch to your decor. I am so glad that we did it! You can check out some of my gallery wall idea posts here, here and here... to see just how creative you can really get with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment