Prairie Days Design

loving your home one prairie day at a time.

Friday, 18 September 2015

book report

August was a slow reading month for me, but I managed to sneak in a couple of really good reads! The first book I finished was A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout & Sara Corbett. This book... wow.

A House in the Sky is a memoir about a young woman from Alberta, Canada. She grew up in a small town and always wanted more, always wondered what else there was out in the world. She began to travel and eventually ended up as a war reporter in Somalia. She and a fellow traveler were eventually kidnapped and held hostage for 460 days. 460 days... it boggled my mind when I first read it and it still boggles my mind now. How she managed to survive still astounds me. It is definitely worth a read, and if you are anything like me, you will learn to appreciate all that you have and you will give your loved ones a little extra squeeze when you hug them goodnight.

The other book that I read was called Family Pictures by Jane Green. This book started off a touch slow, and I honestly had no idea what it was really going to be about. Once you get passed part 1, it gets really good. Like don't really want to put it down good. Not in a suspenseful type way, but more in a what will they do now way...

This story is about two families who meet under very odd circumstances and have to learn how to overcome the unthinkable, and find the good in life again. It's a very easy read, but a very heartwarming read too. I recommend it as a great beach read... or Sunday afternoon, cuddle up on the couch, read.

Have you read any good books lately? Next on my list is A Girl on a Train... finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment