Prairie Days Design

loving your home one prairie day at a time.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015

i still shed a few tears when i think about it....

If you want to sit back and relax with me today, I will tell you the story of how I lost all of my marbles and had a slight break down (an adult temper tantrum) because our kitchen took a turn for the worst. I mean it is better now, but I was really struggling to see the good that could be for awhile. One Friday night, I came home to what I was hoping would be a semi-complete kitchen. Instead I found just two cabinet boxes hanging on the wall. Now, I am not blaming Steve for this one at all, it’s not his fault... well it’s partially OUR fault and partially IKEA’s fault. So here we go. (A part of me still gets super sad and angry when I talk about this)!!!

Upon further inspection, we discovered that our initial measurements were off on the kitchen... not a huge deal right? We can make this work. But after MUCH deliberation, we discovered that the upper cabinets WOULD NOT WORK AT ALL! I was only slightly horrified. I figured a quick trip to Ikea, return the ones that we aren’t using and buy new and we’re home free. NOT that easy. As we discovered and I’m sure most people already knew, the AKURUM Ikea kitchen was discontinued (we knew that part), but what we didn’t know was that they would no longer be ordering it for us from the store either. Enter freak-out mode. What we also discovered and did not know is that the new Sektion kitchen is not compatible with Ikea’s old Akurum kitchen.... this is the first time Ikea has ever done this. Enter REAL freakout mode.
I seriously lost my shit at this point. I was hysterical and thinking that we just spent all this money on a new kitchen and now what, we have to start from scratch? Buy all new? And we can’t even return what we have?! All worst case scenarios were going through my head (Steve does not like this trait). After much deliberation, we decided that we would call Ikea head office in the morning and see what they could do for us. There might still be a possibility that we could order new upper cabinets from SOMEWHERE! PLEASE!!

So we get up real early Saturday and we go over and figure out exactly what we need in order to make this kitchen work, thus the pictures that i'm showing you.. We hung all the uppers that we had and tried to figure out what we could keep and what sizes we needed etc. THEN as we are deliberating, I happen to look at the lower cabinet door fronts.
Insert slight back track here: When originally going over our design at Ikea, we had hummed and hawed about doing all white or doing dark lower cabinets and white upper cabinets...and I was pretty sure we had decided on dark lowers and white uppers. However, when I started assembling the base units for the cabinets, they were all white. So I assumed we had decided last minute to do all white... safer option, right? Well.....fast forward to last weekend...and we find that the lower doors are all black brown .... WHAT THE #$%@!?

ugly cry

That was it... that was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. I almost gave up and was at the point where I just wanted to go to the bank, take out a loan, hire a kitchen expert and get them to rip out all that we had done and start from scratch. THAT’S how frustrated and angry and truly sad I was. How could Ikea let us walk out of there with white boxes and black brown doors? Another sidenote: I do not dislike Ikea, I love them. I think they have great products for those of us who are on a tight budget but still want our homes to look great! I do however, not like the “big company” feel that they have. They don’t seem to be looking out for the little guy, and you are all on your own. The risk is yours, even if you are spending gobs of money with them! THAT I do not like. But then, someone restores my faith all over again....

And now i'm just showing you progress shots because it makes me happier!

Saturday morning, after finding out that the door fronts were all wrong as well, we figure what the hell, if we can manage to order the top cabinets from somewhere, might as well throw in new bottom door fronts as well... in WHITE! So Steve makes the call, and of course the first person we get is unwilling to help us at all... and my heart sinks. But in my infinite wisdom/experience with today’s society, I tell him to call back and maybe he’ll get someone who IS willing to help us... and low and behold... we get the nicest guy in the world (or at least he was to me in that moment!) He was able to order us everything that we needed, and said it would ship out in two weeks...

Now I am not jumping for joy yet, but the stress level has definitely gone down a notch or two. I will not be happy until everything arrives, it is correct, and we can start reassembling our kitchen... again. For now, we have installed all the lower cabinets (sans doors) and the pantry. We are slowly oiling our countertop (which was also short but that’s another story for another day), and getting the appliances put back into place. Until all those cabinets come, not much else can be done. But it’s almost usable and for that, I am VERY grateful! Crisis almost averted...crisis hopefully averted.... I will keep you posted and let you know if I can relax or if I will most certainly have a heart attack when the shipment arrives... cross your fingers for me, would ya!?

No comments:

Post a Comment