Prairie Days Design

loving your home one prairie day at a time.

Tuesday, 1 September 2015

it's coming along...

A month of chaos! That's what our house is all about right now. I always wonder how the hell people do renovations with kids! I know that it will all be worth it when it's done, but right now, I cannot WAIT to get my house back in order and start working on the little projects that I thought were big projects! I feel like we can accomplish anything now! Ok maybe a slight exaggeration, but renovations are nuts and stressful and exciting, but a LOT of work.

Now let me catch you up on what we have accomplished so far. We decided to strip more of the drywall than we had originally thought. We decided to do things right. Drywall is not expensive, so we ripped all the drywall that was behind all the cupboards and replaced it with "water resistant" drywall.

Before we put the drywall up though, we (and by we I mean Steve) reworked some of the electrical. There were numerous switches that we did not know what they did. There were open wires just protruding from the wall and there were also phone jacks and outlets that were in ridiculous spots. SO, we got rid of the light switch that was hooked up to the dishwasher... yes you heard me correctly. We got rid of the light switch that we legitimately had no idea what it did. We also moved some wiring so that we could put sconces up on either side of the bay window.... which I am VERY excited about!

Once the electrical was complete, Steve hung the drywall and a friend of ours came by and did the mudding and taping! Steve is a very handy guy, as I have said many times before, however I have officially found one thing that he cannot do... mud and tape drywall. It's a good thing that's not why I married him ;)

The mudding and taping took a touch longer than we had anticipated, but that's what you get when you call on a friend instead of a professional... and we wouldn't have it any other way! While waiting on drywall, we went and picked out flooring. This was a touch more difficult than I had thought it would be. We had to pick something that wouldn't take too long to order in, which narrowed our choices a touch. We knew we didn't want ceramic tile, because we wanted something very durable and with our luck, we'd lay the tile and chip one within a matter of days. We then wondered if there was any possibility at all that we could get the same laminate wood flooring that the previous owners had put in the living room. They only left us one box, but we thought it was worth a shot to see if we could get more. No such luck. We looked at vinyl after that and nothing at all was catching our eye... there is still some very ugly ass vinyl flooring out there!

We were feeling a touch discouraged when we came across another couple just like us... and they were looking at vinyl tile. I have to admit that I did not know such a thing existed.. but it's actually quite brilliant! It looks like ceramic, but it's not nearly as cold, and you grout it like ceramic, but it's much more durable! We picked a very light grey...

I cannot wait to see how it turns out! It's a touch lighter than we had originally wanted, but I think the texture will work. We had to get a little extra too because we eventually want to change up the flooring in the entry way as well as down the stairs so that there aren't three different types of flooring as soon as you walk in our house! The entry is a ceramic tile and the stairs are covered in the old kitchen vinyl... We are slowly trying to pare down the different types of flooring that go all throughout our house! But maybe that's another post all on it's own ;)

As I speak the flooring is being laid out and grouting will happen soon and then the next step is the cabinets! You have NO idea how pumped I am. Seriously. I might get my kitchen back in a week! MIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment